Any kind of chocolate cake always goes down well here. The boys helped make this one and thoroughly enjoyed licking the spoons/bowls/everything going.
As you can see, I opened the oven too early so the cake sank in the middle but apart from that it is a very nice and easy chocolate cake. We made it the day before I went away for a two day course and it was all gone by the time I got back. Should have made two!
Recipe - Chocolate Cream Pound Cake (adapted from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman)
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup double cream
1 cup plus 2 tbsp plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325F/170C/GM 3. Grease a 9" by 5" loaf pan and dust with flour.
2. Sift the cocoa powder through a fine strainer and into a heatproof bowl. Place the cream in a microwave safe jug and heat until just boiling (30-60s). Pour the hot cream over the cocoa and stir and mash with a spoon to make a thick paste. Set aside to cool.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 mins. Beat in the cocoa powder paste until smooth.
5. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla.
6. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. After the last addition, mix for 30s on medium speed.
7. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake until it is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 mins. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 mins, invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
8. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
See other bakers' versions at The Cake Slice Blogroll.