Sunday 6 March 2011

Wagamama Cookbook - Warm Stir Fried Chicken Salad.


Some might remember my first recipe from this book - the chilli beef ramen which was a delight!

Since then I have also made the zingy warm stir fried chicken salad which was, again, quick and easy to make.


Recipe - 

Ingredients - 
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
3 tbsp vegetable oil
for the marinade
1 tsp sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp light soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp ground cumin
1 large red chilli, trimmed and chopped
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
for the salad
2 handfuls of mixed salad leaves
2 tbsp wagamama salad dressing (see below)
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 lime, halved

Method - 
1. Put all the ingredients for the marinade except the sesame seeds into a blender and blend until smooth, then stir in the sesame seeds.
2. Put the chicken into a dish, pour over the marinade, cover with clingfilm and leaver for at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
3. Heat a wok over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until completely hot and almost smoking and add the vegetable oil.  Add the chicken, stirring constantly so the pieces cook evenly, and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until caramelised round the edges and cooked through.
4. Mix the salad leaves with the dressing.  Divide between two plates and scatter over the sesame seeds and chopped coriander.  Top with the chicken and serve with a lime half on each plate.


Recipe - Wagamama Salad Dressing - 

Ingredients - 
2 tsp finely chopped shallot
2.5cm piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated  (of course, you leave this out if you have good taste like me!)
1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp water
100ml vegetable oil
3 tbsp light soy sauce

Method - 
Whisk all the ingredients together. 


I think this is a good transition dish.  A nice light, zingy salad with a bit of heat perfect for these slightly warmer days as we start to move from the hibernation and stodgy food of winter.

7 comments:

  1. There isn't an ingredient in this dish that I don't like. Mmmmmm love them all!!! I will certainly put this on my to make list. Oh, I really liked that you used chicken thighs, my favorite part of the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the Wagamama dishes that aren't swimming in thin soup-ish broth. This one looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks good I will have to give it a try. I made the ramen dish and really enjoyed it. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FBMKW - yes, the thighs are the best bit, aren't they? Much tastier than the breasts.
    Sarah - I am actually a fan of the soupy ones but it is nice to try something a bit different.
    Kim - It is a good book - I am enjoying working my way through it. I actually expected all the recipes to be more difficult than they are. And I have found that all the ingredients are easy to get hold of in the supermarket. Not a huge fan of the restaurant chain but I do like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so glad your getting use from this book! And we've made this too, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds delicious. i'm chinese so i love the chicken stirfry, but especially on top ofa salad to makeit less stodgy. perfect for summer! got some ideas here for asian salads you may want to try to vary this up once in a while (:

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/05/coconut-crusted-coley-fillets-with.html

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/06/salt-grilled-mackerel-saba-and-mizuna.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Shu Han - they look beautiful! Definitely going to do the coconut coley one. For the other one, do you know where I could get the preserved plums? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete