Sunday 2 October 2011

Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes.



Sorry about quality of lighting in photos but it is getting dark so early now.  And, in fact, it is quite dark all day when it rains solidly like today and yesterday.

These are Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes and are inspired by those made by Holly in the second series of The Great British Bake Off.  Yes, my favourite programme at the moment.  It is even beating Strictly Come Dancing... maybe?  Anyway, it is the final on Tuesday.  I know it was filmed ages ago but I still want to say "Good Luck" to Holly, Jo and Mary-Anne.  May the best baker win.



The new GBBO book was reviewed by Kelly-Jane here just the other day and after reading it, Steve arrived home with a copy for me.  He had wanted to buy it for my Christmas but was scared I would buy it myself before then so just gave it to me early.


I made these for a girly night with friends watching 'Julie and Julia'.  The first time I had ever seen it!  I give the recipe below as it is slightly different to Holly's one which is here.  Brilliant idea for cupcakes and I really enjoyed them.  Very easy to make too and I love the simple and retro decoration.


Recipe - Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes inspired by Holly's Recipe from 'The Great British Bake Off - How To Bake'.
(Makes 18 cupcakes)

Ingredients - 

For the cupcakes - 
150g Stork margarine
150g caster sugar
80g SR flour
80g ground almonds
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp almond essence

For the decoration - 
6 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
250g icing sugar
about 3 tbsp lemon juice
18 non-dyed Glace cherries

Method - 

1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/GM 5.
2. Line muffin trays with paper muffin cases.
3. Put all cupcake ingredients into large bowl and mix at high speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 4 mins).
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and level the tops with the back of a spoon.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and the top will spring back when pressed lightly with a finger tip.
6. Remove each cupcake from the trays and leave to cool completely.
7. With a small, sharp knife, cut a circle out of the top of each cake.  Fill the hole with a teaspoon of jam then replace the cake lid.


8. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and work in the lemon juice a tiny bit at a time until you have a thick but spoonable icing.  Spoon over the top of each cake and level with the back of a spoon.
9. Finish each cake with a Glace cherry. 


12 comments:

  1. OMG These cupcake are so perfect!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manu. Perfect with a cup of tea - and I do like a cup of tea - about 20 times a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the lighting as I am struggling too. Your right about the rain, it has been pretty much non stop (all year I think).

    I keep missing GBBO, so will have to catch up tomorrow on iPlayer. Glad you got treated to the cookbook; as its on my wishlist too.

    These do look pretty awesome to look at and I am sure to eat too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm missing proper daylight too!!!

    What a lovely gift to recieve out of the blue - and yummy buns too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel I am missing a "food movement" in the GBBO, but refuse to believe anything can be better than Strictly!!

    Wish I had been there for your J&J night - amazing film, and those cakes look scrumptious!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I loved Julie & Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These little treats look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look beautiful. The light is a bit of a nightmare changing the white balance on your camera & using a bit of tracing paper to diffuse artificial light should help a bit. I'm looking forward to the final of GBBO but I'm in 2 minds about who I want to win Holly or Mary-Anne. Whose your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaheen - you keep missing GBBO???? My whole life revolves around watching it. Kids must be in bed by 8, Steve has to take Bob out, I need complete silence and a cup of tea. There is no question of missing it. Especially not tonight for the final!

    BVG - yes, he's a good boy is my husband - sometimes very thoughtful.

    Macaroon - it was a good film - I enjoyed it. Was an evening with our two American friends - such a nice girly night!

    MissCakeBaker - I don't know why it took me so long to watch it!

    Michael - I think they are my new cupcakes of choice. Very tasty and pretty but also simple and quick to make.

    Alex - Ever since starting this blog, I have been telling myself I will put some effort into improving my photography but just never have enough time. What do you do with the tracing paper? Put it over the light? Funnily enough, I want Jo to win, I think. I'm torn about Holly - I see a lot of myself in her - a bit competitive and neurotic - and I don't necessarily think they are endearing qualities. But I obviously empathise with her. And her baking has been exceptional. So really maybe she should win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look lovely, could be done with one just now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - these look fantastic! Love cakes that have a hidden surprise in the middle :o) So sad that the Great British Bake Off has finished for another year - there is a cake shaped hole in my Tuesday evenings now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made these a few weeks ago. Beautiful cakes although i wouldnt use the lemon in the icing again, dodnt give it the same effect. Will be making them again tomorrow with normal icing

    ReplyDelete