Friday 26 October 2012

Cake Slice Bakers 17 - October 2012 - Chocolate Almond Torte.



The Chocolate Almond Torte is what I chose to make for The Cake Slice Bakers' last ever bake from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle.


Unfortunately this has been a somewhat hectic time for me so I haven't baked half of the items I should have with The Cake Slice Bakers this year.
I did, however, make the chocolate peanut butter mousse cake, meringue cups with lime cream and fresh berries, individual warm chocolate puddings, not-quite-the-pumpkin-cheesecake and the apple cake with maple frosting. I would actually only class one of those as an actual cake.  I think that was one of my problems with the book - too many complicated desserty type things and not enough simple cake.  I have enjoyed most of what I have made, though, and will certainly refer to it for other recipes when I need a reasonably nice dessert for a special occasion.

The other thing I have already mentioned but is worth saying again is that the author of this book is American but has made the effort to convert every measurement to metric which I hugely appreciate as it saves me a lot of time.  She hasn't converted the oven temperatures but I'll let her off with that as it just takes me one glance at the front of a Delia book to get that right.



For the last month of this book, we had a completely free choice as to what we would bake. I chose the chocolate almond torte when I was invited to a friend's house for a girly night.  There were about six of us going and I said I would bring the pudding.  I thought a chocolate torte was likely to be appreciated by most women.  I also saw there was brandy in the ingredients and I knew immediately I would swap that for some of my favourite - amaretto.  In fact, I chose to add rather a lot of amaretto which was a good choice in my opinion.

The torte was lovely.  Quite rich but moist and almondy and was really set off with some raspberries and cream.  Very quick to make too so I am likely to make this one again.



So, goodbye to The Cake Book and hello to our new book. I have already made the first cake from it and will post next month.  The new book looks like it will have more proper cakes in it so I'm looking forward to that.

Please have a look at the Cake Slice Bakers Blogroll if you are interested in what the others chose to make this month for their free-choice. 


16 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, that looks heavenly Louise. I think I need a wife to bake me delicious desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. Yes, a wife would be good. My husband is very good but I wouldn't say no to some extra help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, speaking of my husband, while I was away at the weekend, he made fondant fancies!!!!! The GBBO taught me that there are better things to do with your time than try to make your own fondant fancies, but obviously Steve got an entirely different message from the programme!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are KIDDING! They looked so insanely fiddly and doomed to failure. How did he get on? I want to see photos... No, actually I'd like to eat but I'm guessing they've been snaffled!

      Delete
    2. I wasn't going to post the photos but maybe I will if I get time.

      Delete
  4. It looks great! you're very talented! Hopefully the new book will do a better job in motivating you ;) You should try making the "Solid Gold Carrot Cake" from "The cake book" OH MY! Pure GOLD!

    Paloma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm. despite the fact it has alcohol in in, this cake sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily miss out the alcohol and you will still get a lovely taste from the almonds.

      Delete
  6. I do love raspberries and chocolate!!
    Your cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love that combination too. I think rasps help to keep a chocolate cake from being to rich.

      Delete
  7. It does look beautifully moist and chocolatey - I bet it was very much appreciated. Can't wait to find out what the book for the next year is, especially if there are more cakes than desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look to be a very nice book. And, yes, the cake was lovely and gooey. :)

      Delete
  8. That torte is about my idea of heaven - that whole chocolate, almonds and raspberries thing. I can practically taste it. Ideal girls night fodder if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too thought it would work for a girls night and I think it was a success.

      Delete
  9. This cake does look lovely! And a perfect addition to a ladies night in. Great job on this cake. I do hope you like our next book better than this one. This one was a bit complicated at times...

    ReplyDelete