This is a bit of a staple for whenever we have a kids-free night. It is quick and easy to make and we both love it.
It is simply - steak, dauphinoise potatoes and rocket and parmesan salad. You'll notice from the photos I forgot to put the parmesan shavings on before taking the pictures.
For the dauphinoise potatoes we just use the really simple, un-mucked-about-with, recipe from Nigel Slater's Appetite. The steaks are usually ribeye if we can afford it done rare (I slightly overdid these ones so they were medium but they were still fine).
Dauphinoise Recipe -
potatoes - waxy fleshed if possible, about 1Kg
garlic - 2 large, juicy cloves (we use about 4)
butter - just enough to butter the baking dish thickly
double cream - enough to cover the potatoes (about 600ml)
1. Set oven to 160C/GM 3.
2. Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly.
3. Either cut the cloves in garlic in half and rub them round and round the dish, pressing hard to release the juices, or do what we do and just slice thinly and tuck the slices between the potatoes.
4. Smear the dish generously with butter.
5. Lay the potato slices in the dish, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
6. Pour the cream over the potatoes - it should just come to the top of the slices.
7. Bake for an hour and a half until the potatoes are virtually melting into the cream.