Tuesday 30 November 2010

Snow Day Bake Off - Parsnip Cake.


This is my post for the Snow Day Bake Off on A Slice Of Cherry Pie.

We have loads of snow here but are quite used to it.  Steve is managing to get to work in Aberdeen.  I have managed to get to my work too but I only work two days a week so the rest of the time the kids and I have stayed at home to keep cosy.  Some cooking and baking and making cosy dens out of chairs, duvets and loads of cushions has kept us busy.



So, I decided to make Parsnip Cake from the Riverford Farm Cook Book.


Recipe - 

Ingredients - 
250g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
250g self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp ground mixed spice
175g toasted hazlenuts, finely chopped
250g peeled and finely grated parsnips
4 tbsp milk

For the topping - 
125g cream cheese
60g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar, sifted
60g toasted hazlenuts, roughly chopped

Method - 
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour with each one.
2. Fold in the remaining flour, plus the spice, nuts, parsnips and milk.
3. Use baking parchment to line a rectangular tin, roughly 28 X 18 cm.  Spoon in the mixture and place in the centre of an oven preheated to 180C/ GM 4.
4. Bake for 40-50 mins, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the topping, place the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat until soft.
7. Beat in enough icing sugar to give a thick consistency.
8. Spread the icing over the cake and scatter on the chopped hazlenuts.
9. Cut into squares or triangles to serve.


A nice, moist cake with a subtle but distinct flavour of parsnip.  A cake for Autumn really with the lovely nuttiness and officially it is still Autumn but really it is winter.  I like this cake and would probably make it again especially if I had parsnips to use up but I don't think it is quite as good as a sweet carrot cake.


11 comments:

  1. Wow, the snow looks amazing - easy for me to say, sitting here in a t-shirt and wondering what to wear to work that won't be too hot! Sorry you were disappointed in the parsnip cake - if you want to give it another go there's a recipe on my blog that I heartily recommend (excuse shameless self-promotion but it really is very good!) Hope the snow novelty doesn't wear off too soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Is it the spicy parsnip and pecan cupcakes? I love the look of the caramel frosting with them. Will definitely give them a go. Thanks. Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely flavor combination! This looks simple enough to make, while being delicious to eat!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of parsnip cake...I'm intrigued! It sounds delicious.
    And that photo of the landscape in the snow is just gorgeous! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really good. I would have thought parsnips would have done the same job as carrots. My goodness you have had a lot of snow. We had some but not like that. Just shivering in sub zero temperatures. That wind bringing them down even further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just fell in love with your dog. Handsome Bob <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sprinkles - Thanks. Yes, really quick cake to make.

    Karen - Yes, we are pretty much snowed in and it is a bug nuisance but, on the other hand, it is gorgeous here - like a picture postcard.

    Granny - The parsnips do do the same job as carrots - it is sweet but there is a parsnip tang to it as well. I think I am just more used to carrot cake. I will definitely try a different parsnip recipe - probably Kitchen Maid's one.

    Mai - Thank you - he is a gorgeous beast! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mai - just realised you are Haggis' Mum! I just found Haggis' blog the other day - such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your photos are brilliant, your boys are insanely cute in their little snow outfits!
    I heard that maple syrup is really good with parsnip cake, toasted hazelnuts sound delicious with the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hanna - good idea - maple syrup sounds like it would go perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photos!

    Cake sounds great - nice combination of flavours.

    ReplyDelete