Sunday 23 September 2012

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.



These are not quite as good as a real lemon meringue pie, in my opinion, but they are VERY good for a cupcake.  I have filled my ones with shop-bought lemon curd so they are quick and easy to make.  I love lemon and the thrill of the wee shiver from the sharpness and I love gooey, chewy meringue so I knew these would be a great choice.

I actually asked Adam (my 5 year old sous chef) to choose the recipe for me for this month's Random Recipes. Random Recipes is combined with Teatime Treats this month so I collected all my recipe books which were predominantly baking and asked Adam to select from them. I got The Primrose Bakery Book by Martha Swift and Lisa Thomas.



 Adam then got to select the recipe.  This choice wasn't so much random as something that caught his eye but as I had no say in what it would be, I thought it would still count.




To make these, use a basic cupcake recipe like this. Instead of the vanilla essence add a couple of teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest to the batter.  Once the cupcakes are cooled, core out a hole from the top, fill the hole with lemon curd and replace the top.  Prepare some basic meringue mixture like this one.  Either put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe swirls on to the top of the cupcakes or just spoon the mixture on. Put into the oven at 160C/GM 3 for 15 minutes until slightly golden on top.

These cupcakes are a winner and I will definitely be making these again.  I do, however, now have cravings for lemon meringue pie.  I'm a bit scared of pastry but, hey, I can use shop bought!


I am submitting these for Random Recipes does Tea Time Treats which is hosted by:
Dom from Belleau Kitchen,
Karen from Lavender and Lovage,
and Kate from What Kate Baked.

26 comments:

  1. Wow! They are just lovely to look at! I love the light brown crisped piping ... perfection! Worthy of a leisurely afternoon cuppa and a sweet knosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inventive idea, and that piping is spectacular. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Misky. The extra effort using the piping bag does make a difference.

      Delete
  3. Wow, they look lovely - you've made me want to make these now! I love lemon merignue too so I'd love to find out how the cupcake version tastes. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice for a cupcake but I think the pie still wins by having the lovely crunch of the base.

      Delete
  4. I made ones similar to these for Pudsey last year Lou, I loved them, especially the meringue crunch on top! Might just have to make them again this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon meringue is such a good combination and to have cake and portability as well - it's almost too good to be true. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a powerful hankering for lemon meringue pie now! Don't be scared of pastry, it's not nearly as much of a big deal as they make it seem on GBBO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make pastry which tastes okay - I'm just not so good at pretty presentation!!

      Delete
  7. I too am sacred of pastry but have been recomended and bought this book. Haven't yet actually made any...

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pastry-Savoury-Sweet-Michel-Roux/dp/1844008274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348563376&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks good. But Michel Roux? That scares me even more!

      Delete
  8. yumm2! looking forward to your lemon meringue pies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I feel I am being challenged to master pastry and get on with making lemon meringue pies. Hmmmmm. Will I rise to the challenge?

      Delete
  9. I'll book mark them, they do look gooey and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry sorry sorry!!!!!!!!... i don't know what happened, I thought I was doing so well and with the Linky tool in place I thought I wouldn't miss a thing... I am sorry... these are STUNNING, I mean just look at them, how could anyone forget these beauties... I ALWAYS love you taking part and I feel very special that you do... please forgive me... you are up on the round-up now xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, they look gorgeous.

    I was interested to see what recipe you used for the cakes. I have this book and confess I have never used it. I read so many bad reviews (on Amazon) about the basic vanilla cupcake recipe that I decided, even though it was a very generous and thoughtful gift from a colleague, to put it in the bag for the charity shop !! I think I will fish it out again and have another look !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have made much more from the book so can't really comment on how good the recipes are but that one worked fine. I may explore the book a bit more too.

      Delete
  12. These look amazing, thanks so much for your luscious entry! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so good! Particularly the gooey meringue on top. I can't eat icing, as a general rule, but I can eat meringue - from now I think all cupcakes will be topped with it ;o)

    ReplyDelete