Thursday 16 December 2010

My First Ever Gingerbread House 2010.


I have never made a gingerbread house and it has never occurred to me to do so.  In fact, I don't think I know anyone who has ever made one.  This year, they started to catch my eye and I found myself looking at them on Google Images.  There are some truly amazing gingerbread house photographs on there - the creativity is so inspiring!  So, I decided I would give it a go.

I ordered a book from Amazon - Gingerbread Houses by Christa Currie as the reviews on Amazon suggested it was good for beginners with all the basics to get started.  It is a good book for all the boring details and a great template to make a basic house from which you can then start to add more intricate details as you get more confident.  The book has no photographs however so is not one for flicking through and dreaming or particularly inspiring.



Have to say, this is a time consuming hobby. I would like to maybe start doing one each year.  I did it all myself this year and surprised the kids with it this morning but next year, I think I'll construct the house and then let them decorate and maybe the year after they'll be able to help me at every stage.  Will make a nice family tradition, I think.  























Sorry for the abundance of photos but I just want to record it for myself.  My photography is not great, I'm afraid so it really does look better in real life.  The LED candles inside are the flickering type so you get a really cosy feel from the house.  I am a science person through and through and have never been arty or creative, so I am actually very proud of this house.

A few days ago, I got an early Christmas present in the post from a friend who had seen on facebook that I was struggling with my gingerbread house.  She sent me this book - Gingerbread Architect by Susan Matheson and Lauren Chattman.  Now this IS an inspiring, coffee-table book with amazing photographs.  Love it.  So, next year, I'm maybe going to go for something slightly less traditional.



Steve bought us a kit gingerbread house for the boys to build so we did that yesterday.  It was really easy and no-fuss and they enjoyed doing it.  However, it only kept them occupied for about 10 minutes and I'm not sure we're really going to want to eat that much of it.  It did let them have a wee practice at it before next year's big project - hee hee.


15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is seriously impressive!! Now I am VERY jealous of your decorating skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath - have you ever made a ginger bread house with your wee girl? I know she would be great at decorating it, given her lovely decorating of the birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just so impressive - fantastic decorating and baking.

    I'd say the boys couldn't believe their luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gingerbread house is amazing! I usually make one every year but haven't had time this year. I use the same book too, it even tells you how to add lights! Maybe I'll get to that next year...

    I'm so impressed with your house, it really is perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely incredible - congratulations on a feat of baking and engineering and decorating! I love all the pics and the incredible orderliness of everything (especially as I am typing this in a bombsite kitchen with a toddler on my knee (she is loving the pics of your boys!) I also think you are being far too modest about not being arty or creative - this house is the proof that you are both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...I am completely amazed and impressed by how perfect this looks!! You are a real pro! I think I made a gingerbread house for Christmas only once and it looked more like a dilapidated shack...yeah, I would not have liked to live there! But yours, I would definitely live in! Hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gingerbread house is gorgeous. I like the green icing and the brick effect. And of course the stained glass windows. Very cool.

    We make them every other year or so and I know what you mean about time consuming. Last year we made a rather large intricate one and it was a Christmas present for the kids. This year we're going to scale it back a bit and they're going to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That house looks amazing, almost too good to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful. You should be really proud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your gingerbread house - especially the little candy canes at the front - looks brilliant! I've never made one as I'm not very good at intricate decorations (!) - but your pictures have encouraged me to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw thank you so much everyone for such lovely comments. Has really made me feel very proud of myself. But my husband would probably say, "don't encourage her!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your house is beautiful, and so is the house your boys did. You and your boys should be very proud of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - looks like a massive amount of work, but what a brilliant result! I am so impressed - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Amazing looking gingerbread house. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh - I want to move in and live there! It looks sooooooo cosy and sweet and inviting. Not to mention gorgeous. Did you make that holly wreath from icing yourself? It's the cutest thing. I think this is an UTTERLY amazing first effort and no wonder you feel proud of yourself! I know what you mean re the husband bit - but I must say mine now simply oscillates beween fervent support and bemused sighs. He's learned it's better (for all concerned) to encourage rather than discourage. That is, it's Betty's way or no way. Smart man that boy o' mine!

    ReplyDelete